Who we are – Cataloguing section is a unit in the Technical Services Division. It is a department that is involved in cataloguing and classification of library books and making sure that books on the same and related subjects areas are kept and maintained together on the shelf.
The section is responsible for populating the library’s online catalogue, also known as Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC) which is a modern alternative to the traditional card catalogue. This means that users can use a computer or any other device with internet access to discover resources that are available in the library and the location of such resources. Access to the OPAC is available at the workstation located at the entrance of the library.
Bragging over 10 members of staff (Academic Librarians, Para-professionals and Non-Professionals included), Cataloguing Section is headed by Dr. Chijioke Ugwuanyi.
What We Do
- General administration of Cataloguing
- Receiving of new books from Acquisitions section and keeping statistics
- Cataloguing and classification –(descriptive, subject, and online)
- Vetting of catalogued books
- Spine labeling
- Keeping Statistics
- Distribution of cataloged books
- Filing and maintenance of catalogue and shelf list cards, and
- Others assignments